United States and Thailand
The Bombay is terrific as a house cat ~ very playful and active making Bombay’s a wonderful companion.
Bombay cats have a very easygoing personality and are known for their intelligence.
While they prefer your company to being left alone they love to entertain themselves.
Good with children
Prefer your company over being left alone
Bombay Cats were brought around by Nikki Horner who wanted to have a domesticated cat that resembled India’s black leopard.
Bombays are mixed with a dash of black American Shorthair and Burmese cat breeds. They were accepted as cat breed in 1978.
The general lifespan is between 12 to 18 years.
Did You Know?
- Bombays are all black cats ~ with no white markings
- Named after the City of Bombay, India
Did you know cat hair isn’t the cause of reactions by people sensitized to cat allergens? The primary cause is an allergen produced in cats’ saliva. These allergens are spread to cats’ hair through grooming, which are then shed into the environment.
Appearance & Coat
- This is a cat that is a ‘hassle-free’ grooming breed.
- Sleek black cat that can occasionally be sable-colored (light tan mixed with black)
- Slender long body and legs
- Large eyes that range from gold to copper in color
- Short coat